Sunday, October 17, 2010

Gig No 2 - General Fiasco


Oh, how I wish I was living in Manchester when I was 16! That was the average age (again) at the concert the other night. But leaving the crowd aside, the gig was good. I mean, yeah, I've-seen-RHCP-and-Manu-Chao-and-Gogol-Bordello-and-still-enjoyed-this-one good.

A nice surprise was one of the opening acts. Only one, the other band was terrible. So, Pegasus Bridge, worth a check, even if one of their songs is called Ribena. If you don't know what that means, google it like I did and you'll immediately loose interest in the lyrics whatsoever...

But back to General Fiasco, what was nice was that they played all songs on the album, including the wonderful Buildings. When I saw the setlist, this song was replaced by a new one, but on stage it wasn't the case. One more reason of joy for me :D Plus, there were other new songs, good ones, but all we really wanted was the chance to scream from the top of our lungs "Does the rebel get by". And we did. Yeap, we all did.

It took me a while to appreciate the power of connecting to an audience. Sure, they're all there for your songs and/or performance, but talking to them, telling stories, making them laugh, this is one of the many great bonuses I got the chance to experience in my time as concert-goer. Wasn't the case with General Fiasco. But then again, it wasn't that necessary. Not everybody can master the stage in that way, and in that case, a clean, nice set is all we need. And it was what we got from General Fiasco.

Next on the bill is one busy week in December, when both Biffy Clyro AND Kings of Leon are in town, and Arcade Fire at a 2 hour bus ride away. And yes, I am the happy owner of tickets for all three gigs. I can't say no to an early Christmas present and a little bit of pampering, even if I have to pay for them myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment